This week’s 5Qs features jazz mandolin player Will Patton. Once again the Mandolin Cafe was responsible for turning me on to Will Patton’s music! After seeing one of his songs featured on the front page I was hooked! The tune Wes’ Street Blues off of his album “Peripherique” is to this day one of my favorite to pick along to!
Will has a new project out called “Times Arrow” and it’s as incredible as you would expect a release from Will to be! You can find Will online here at his website or here on Facebook!
I give you 5 Quick Questions with…..Will Patton!
1. What are you currently playing (mandolin brand, strings, picks etc)?
WP — A Gibson A 1920, JBouvier F-5 Tradition, Campanella Strings Due, 1930 National Steel tenor guitar, Dobro. D’addario J-74, turtle picks.
- What are you currently listening to?
WP — Solas, Bill Evans, Rodney Crowell, Bonnie Raitt, Hilary Hahn, Mike Auldrige…
- What’s your favorite beverage when picking some tunes?
WP — It depends — Trout River Red Ale (now defunct, I hear, Shed Ale (both local to VT), Sam Adams, glass of Cab, cask strength single malt Irish Whiskey.
- If you were to pick up your mando at this second, what tune would you play?
WP — Forked Deer
- What is the best advice you’ve been given?
WP — Relax!
If you want to catch up with Will he will be at the Cafe Leno Mando Summit on June 13th and at Jim Ricther’s Camp the last week of July.